[avr-gcc-list] building gcc/g++ for AVR

From: Peter Jansen
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] building gcc/g++ for AVR
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:10:04 +1100

I'm trying to build g++ for the AVR and the following works but don't
quite what is in the libstdc++ that was too big to combile for the AVR.

So I do the following,

> in some source directory:
>
> (for bin utils)
>
> tar xvzf binutils-2.11.2.tar.gz
> mkdir binobj
> cd binobj
> ../binutils-2.11.2/configure --target=avr
> make
> make install (by default installs to /usr/local)
>
> (now gcc)
>
> tar xvzf gcc-3.0.2.tar.gz
> mkdir gccobj
> cd gccobj
> ../gcc-3.0.2/configure --target=avr --enable-languages=c
> make
> make install
>
> (now newlib)
>
> tar xvzf newlib-1.9.0.tar.gz
> mkdir newlibobj
> cd newlibobj
> ../newlib-1.9.0/configure --target=avr
> make
> make install
>
> (now g++)
>
> mkdir g++obj
> cd g++obj
> ../gcc-3.0.2/configure --target=avr --enable-languages=c,c++
>
> (Doing a make here fails because when the assembler makes misc-inst)
> (is too big and some rcalls are outside the 64k jump range.)
> (in the file libstdc++/avr/src/makefile I remove the references to
> (building misc-inst, their are two of these a .cc file and a .lo file,
> (and it builds ok.)
>
> make
> make install

If you use the --prefix option for the configure lines, then make sure
that you use it in every place.

The question is what does the misc-inst.cc library for and is their some
option when building g++ not to build the libstdc++ or is this an
intergral part of the c++ compiler.

Obviously when embedding c++ on the AVR we have to be carful of which
libraries to use so as not to use too much space.

Any one got any ideas on how to make misc-inst smaller or what building
g++ has to do with building libstdc++? Is their some build options so as
not to build libstdc++?

Thanks,

--
Peter Jansen