Re: [avr-gcc-list] Mega32 Project

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Mega32 Project
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:00:32 +0100 (CET)

> I'm busy with a new project on the MEGA32, using the latest AVRGCC version.
> The compiler seems happy with ATMEGA32 but the linker (LD.exe) complains that
> it does not understand "AVR5". The --help for the linker also does not list
> the MEGA32.
> What to do ? Is there a work around ?

For now, try this workaround:

avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega32 -Wl,-m,avrmega161 -Wl,-T,m323.x

where m323.x is a copy of /usr/local/avr/lib/ldscripts/avrmega161.x
edited to increase maximum memory sizes (look at the first few
lines of the file, under MEMORY).

The "avr5" emulation was intended to be for all devices with
enhanced core and >8K of program memory, but I didn't have time
to make the necessary binutils patches, and now ATmega64/128
require a different linker script anyway (internal SRAM starts
at 0x100, not 0x60 - I wonder why Atmel didn't do that from the
start, fewer address bits to decode).

BTW, ATmega32 was renamed to ATmega323, but (just to add more
confusion) I heard there will be ATmega32 too...

Marek