Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR Studio command line programmer very slow

From: Jason Kyle
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR Studio command line programmer very slow
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:51:16 +1300

At 19:04 11/01/2002 +0000, John Devereux wrote:
Hello all,

I have just tried using the command line STK500.EXE programming
utility to automate chip programming from a makefile. I have noticed
that it seems very slow compared to the main AVR-Studio program. For
example, a trivial 100 byte program takes 10 seconds from the command
line but less than 1 second from within the Windows software.

Yuck! Can't think of any reason why it should be so slow, must be how they have implemented reception of the acknowledge characters sent back from the programmer. Maybe try setting the FIFO level on the serial port to 1 byte on receive?

Is this normal, is there anything I can do about it, and is there an
alternative under Windows?

I use uisp in a cygwin environment on win2k, you'll need to specify -dserial=/dev/comX where X = the com port number.

Jason Kyle

I am running V3.2, under Win2k, trying to program the ATmega163.

Regards,

John Devereux