Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-libc-20020115

From: reinhard . jessich
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-libc-20020115
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:27:53 +0100

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Peter Jansen wrote:

> Hi Marek,
>
> > I've just made a new release of avr-libc.
> > Many thanks to Reinhard Jessich for autoconf/automake support.
> > Hopefully this will make new releases easier...
> >
> > http://www.amelek.gda.pl/avr/libc/avr-libc-20020115.tar.gz
> >
> > Tested only on Linux so far, and the old Makefile hacks for
> > Windows are gone.  Please test more - thanks!
>
> I found that by doing a "../avr-libc-20020115/configure --target=avr
> --host=avr" that it does not pick up the avr gcc compiler. I changed the
> configure script to hopefully get this correct (attached the patch).

!!! STOP STOP STOP !!!

Sorry, but this is the wrong approach!
You can never change a script automaticaly generated by autoconf.
So you have to provide the right options for configure. This are

./configure -v --target=avr --host=avr \
           --build=`./config.guess` \
           --prefix=the_prefix_you_like

The tricky part is the --build option. If you don't specify this, it is set to
the same as host and this will try to use gcc instead of avr-gcc (see
./confiure --help). If you know your build system you can specify it. For my
Linux machine it is i686-pc-linux-gnu.

As I made the automake/autoconf scripts I have also added a script
./doconf to do the configure command. If you like an other prefix use:
   PREFIX=the_prefix_you_like ./doconf

Please read INSTALL you will find it there. Maybe we should add more comments
there?

> I had trouble building your library, I'm building it in a different
> directory than the source maybe that makes a difference. This was mostly
> with the directory structure it creates when building.
>
> If I do the following,
>
> cd source                             (as an example)
> tar xvzf avr-libc-200201015.tar.gz
> mkdir build-avr-libc
> cd build-avr-libc
All this is done by ./doconf, so PLEASE USE IT!!!
If it will not work on you machine, find the reason and send a patch.

> ../avr-lib-20020115/configure --target=avr --host=avr
>
> I end up with the following directory structure,
>
> source/avr-libc-20020115/.....
> source/avr3/build-avr-libc
> source/avr4/build-avr-libc
> source/avr5/build-avr-libc
> source/build-avr-libc
>
> I would have expected the avr3, avr4, avr5 directories to be created
> under the build-avr-libc directory.
>
> I could not figure out which part of the configuration system makes this
> I assume its something to do with the multilib support stuff but it
> seems quite complex.
I have copied the multilib part from gcc/newlib. It is as it is and I see no
problem with it. If you like to change it, look to config-ml.in.

Regards,
   Reinhard

--
 Ing. Reinhard Jessich              mailto: address@hidden
 A-1190 Vienna, Goergengasse 2/2/1  phone: +43/1/3692600