Re: [avr-gcc-list] RFC: new AVR devices in binutils

From: reinhard . jessich
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] RFC: new AVR devices in binutils
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:37:42 +0100

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:

<snip>

> Comments and suggestions welcome.  Could this plan be improved?
For me all this sounds, that it is possible and I think it is the right
approach.
You have thought a lot about the transition procedure.
I think the binutils people will like this solution.

One suggestion:
I don't know if we should keep the avr85xx etc. emulations. If I understand it
correctly, we can use the new avrX emulation and the specific crtXXX.o file.
gcc, more precisely the spec file, needs to know all devices. So it will define
the -m option, the -D__AVR_XXXX__ symbol and the crtXXX.o.
If you use gcc to link the programs, it would also work as expected.
The only problem will be the Makefiles, that use ld directly. I think it is not
so a big problem to change the Makefiles. For those avr users which have so
much Makefiles that this would be to much effort, we can provide a
shell/python/perl script to convert the old -m option to the new one. This
script would have the name avr-ld and will execute the avr-ld-ori (renamed
original avr-ld).
With this approach we can move quicker and we don't need to remember, that
we have to change binutils in some years.

I haven't heard anything from Peter Jansen until now. I have to do other things
now, but if I don't hear anything until next week I will continue with the C++
con/destructor problem. Maybe we can add the needed things to the linker
scripts, if you implement the new emulations in binutils.

Regards,
     Reinhard

--
 Ing. Reinhard Jessich              mailto: address@hidden
 A-1190 Vienna, Goergengasse 2/2/1  phone: +43/1/3692600