[avr-gcc-list] gdb-5.1-avr-patch-0.0-pre9 is available

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] gdb-5.1-avr-patch-0.0-pre9 is available
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:20:43 -0700 (MST)

I've just uploaded the gdb-5.1-avr-patch-0.0-pre9 patch for gdb-5.1.

New in this patch is a fix which allows gdb to correctly convert function
pointer addresses from target instruction space (word based) to gdb memory
space (byte based).

For example, if bar is a pointer to function foo(), `print bar` will
correctly print the address of bar.

Thanks to Ken Restivo for notifying me of the problem.

Here's the URL:

http://freesoftware.fsf.org/download/simulavr/gdb-patches/

There is still a known problem with gdb dereferencing zero pointer. I'm
looking into this, but a solution is not obvious to me at this time. If
anyone has any insight on this, I'd appreciate it.

Lastly, Marek Michalkiewicz noted that avr-gdb is rather fragile with
respect to changing the code generated by gcc/gas because of the scanning
of opcodes. I would tend agree with him. I took the scanning code directly
from Denis Chertykov's work (or whoever did the 5.0 port) so I haven't
given much thought to how to this. I am willing to pursue this, but will
need some help from the community on how this should be approached.

Ted Roth