Re: [avr-gcc-list] boot loader for atmega163

From: Bryce Denney
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] boot loader for atmega163
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:19:56 -0500 (EST)

Ok, the avr-gcc boot loader patches are completed.  One more bug turned up
in AVR109, that caused chip erase to only erase 0-0x3ff on the atmega163.
Find them at:

  http://tlw.com/bryce/robot/avr

I mentioned the "multi-word write" feature before, and I've done some more
extensive testing on it.  I wasn't expecting this exactly, but it turns
out that with a boot loader and the multi-word write patch, you can
download code significantly (5-10x) faster than with the usual AVR910
protocol at the same baudrate.  Multiword write reduces the total number
of bytes sent, and the number of times that one side must wait for the
other side to respond.  It works on the atmegas because you can take
advantage of the hardware uart to receive data even while self
programming, and because writing the temporary page buffer is so fast that
it can handle a stream of writes without any delays.

To test its performance, I measured the time required to program 8K of
flash, using different baud rates, and using different serial port
download methods.  The uisp programming software was used for all cases.
Without multiword writes, it seems to plateau at around 86 sec, while with
multiword it continues to speed up with the baud rate.  Note that a 2400
baud download with multiword write is nearly twice as fast as a 19200 baud
download without it.

                   AVR109         AVR109 w/
Baud    AVR910     boot loader    multiword
rate    download   download       patch       Speedup
------  --------   ----------     ---------   -------
2400               258.7 sec      46.8 sec     5.5x
4800               171.6 sec      24.4 sec     7.0x
9600                86.3 sec      12.6 sec     6.8x
19200   88.3 sec    86.3 sec       8.0 sec    10.8x

I don't know how this compares to parallel port programmers, but I expect
it's faster.

I tried to add multiword write to the AVR910 code, but eventually realized
that it just can't keep up with a stream of serial data because it does
the UART and SPI code in software with no interrupts.  So I gave up on
that.

In conclusion, I hope that my work makes boot loaders more accessible to
AVR users, and avr-gcc users in particular.  I would like to get the
avr-gcc port of avr109 moved to some AVR site where people will be able to
find it, instead of in a dark corner of the web (on my server), but I just
don't know where to ask.  I've submitted the app note patches to Atmel,
and the uisp patches to Marek Michalkiewicz.  But the port to avr-gcc....?

Let me know if you have any problems.
Regards,
Bryce Denney