Re: [avr-gcc-list] debugging information in assembler file for gdb/ddd

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] debugging information in assembler file for gdb/ddd
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:35:43 -0700 (MST)

Hi Klaus,

You need to pass the --gstabs option to the assembler. Also, if you do
that, I don't think you need the -g option for gcc. Try this to get an
obj file which can be considered a standalone program:

  $ avr-gcc -Wa,-gstabs -xassembler-with-cpp -mmcu=at90s8515 -nostdlib \
        file.s -o file.o

or if you want to be able to link with C obj files:

  $ avr-gcc -Wa,-gstabs -xassembler-with-cpp -mmcu=at90s8515 -c \
        file.s -o file.o

Use this to see that the stabs are in the .stab section of the object
file:

  $ avr-objdump -h -S -D --stabs --disassemble-zeroes file.o

Either of those seem to work for me.

Note that "-Wa,-gstabs" is not "-Wa,--gstabs". The "-Wa," part adds the
first - for you.

Ted Roth