Re: [avr-gcc-list] invalid bfd target linker error

From: Nils Kristian Strom
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] invalid bfd target linker error
Date: 20 Apr 2002 19:13:06 -0400

On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 02:56, Sander Pool wrote:
> I tried recompiling one of my little test programs with the new win32
> distribution that Marc kindly put together. Things seem to compile fine but
> then I get the following linker error:
>
> avr-objcopy: accell_test.obj: Invalid bfd target

This means that the output format you are trying to convert to is
invalid.  Perhaps Marc did not compile in support for avr-obj file
format, and you are trying to convert the .elf file to make a .obj file
?

With this little information it is a bit hard to find the cause, you
must look at the commands make runs to trace down the error.  Read the
manual page for the command that fails, and check which option causes
the error.    If you cannot figure it out yourself, you should post some
more information, at least provide the command that fails (with all
options).

Example:
avr-objcopy accell_test.elf -O avrobj accell_test.obj
avr-objcopy: accell_test.obj: Invalid bfd target

With help of this output, it is possible to provide better and more
accurate help.

Regards
 Nlis