[avr-gcc-list] Re: avr-libc license issues

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: avr-libc license issues
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 23:51:26 +0200 (CEST)

> My request for the project was rejected by the savannah people because of
> issues with the licenses of various files (see forwarded message below).

Hmm, Debian has no problem distributing avr-libc - but the FSF people
are so paranoid about these issues...

>       http://www.amelek.gda.pl/avr/libc/avr-libc-20020203.tar.gz
>
>       I see a complex mixture of files with no copyright or license notice,
> files with a license notice that says it is not copyrighted but no indication
> of who is legally empowered to make such a decision (which would require to

What is the correct (FSF-approved) way of saying that something is public
domain (completely free to do anything, not even BSD license - I don't
want _any_ license conflicts in the future)?  I can change all my notices,
but would prefer not to have to do it once again...

> add a copyright notice and would therefore be contradictory with the license
> notice ;-), files with no copyright notice but a pointer to a readme file
> that states it is released under the GNU GPL but also relaxes the GNU GPL
> to make it look like the GNU LGPL.

Pure GPL is too restrictive - at least, my intent is to allow linking this
library into all kinds of applications, free or proprietary.  The relaxed
license is borrowed from libgcc.

> itself. For files with "no copyright" you can release them under the
> Modified BSD license (it has the same effect as what is usually called
> "public domain").

Well, the BSD license (without advertising clause) is fine for me, but
isn't public domain simpler?

Marek