[avr-gcc-list] Re: avr-libc license issues

From: Peter N Lewis
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: avr-libc license issues
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 17:45:04 -0700

[Sorry for those who get this twice, I don't know who is on the avr-gcc-list...]

At 16:27 -0600 8/5/02, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
Hi All,

I agree with Marek that the pure-GPL is not ideal in our situation. The
Modified-BSD license (no advert) should be suitable, but will need to
check to make sure. I think the FSF prefers the BSD since it makes things
explicit while just saying public domain doesn't (???). I wish I knew more
about all this, I'm just this hacker guy, you know?

The problem with Public Domain is that someone has to own it first to have permission to put it into the Public Domain.

However, as for licenses, check out:

http://www.gjt.org/doc/pd/

They suggest:

****
This work, including the source code, documentation
and related data, is placed into the public domain.

The original author is -your name here-.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED AS-IS WITHOUT WARRANTY
OF ANY KIND, NOT EVEN THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF
MERCHANTABILITY. THE AUTHOR OF THIS SOFTWARE,
ASSUMES _NO_ RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY CONSEQUENCE
RESULTING FROM THE USE, MODIFICATION, OR
REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS SOFTWARE.
****

Sounds reasonable.

HTH,