[avr-gcc-list] Does AT90S8515 UART RX Still Respond "SLEEPing" (Idle Mod

From: Bruce D. Lightner
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Does AT90S8515 UART RX Still Respond "SLEEPing" (Idle Mode)?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:52:53 -0700

Does anyone know if the AT90S8515's UART is still "alive" when the
microcontroller is placed in "idle mode" with the SLEEP instruction?

The documentation stays that "idle mode" keeps the AVR microcontroller's
clock oscillator running and that the processor will wake up and respond to
"external triggered interrupts as well as internal ones like Timer Overflow
interrupt and Watchdog reset".  I can't find any information in Atmel's
AT90S8515 documentation (or on their Web site) talking about whether a UART
RX interrupt will "wake up" the processor from this low-power mode.

I would like to save power when waiting for a command over the serial port
from an external device.  Clearly there are other ways of doing this, but
this would be the most straightforward.

Best regards,

Bruce

--