Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-g++

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-g++
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:06:42 +0200 (MET DST)

Torsten Mohr <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can anybody give me some examples what else is needed by C++?

Perhaps not even malloc().  avr-libc offers a malloc(), but its
implementation as pretty simple and has a number of deficiencies.  (If
i get around, i'll try to make it a bit more efficient.)  Apart from
that, i've got an application that is using it (a one-shot timer
service that allows for many concurrent timers in one program), so i
can confirm that malloc() works.

> It doesn't seem to be so easy to generate a working g++.

Why not?

> I found some patches to generate an avr-g++, they also let
> compile a test program, but that one doesn't link, there
> are always some parts missing.

Well, you're working in a microcontroller environment.  Please realize
that before starting to compile any C++ source.  In particular,
realize that you've got much less available resources than on your
favorite desktop computer.

> But it always fails at:
> gcc-3.1/libstdc++-v3/src/locale-inst.cc -o locale-inst.o

Sure.  libstdc++ is /way/ too big to even think about building it for
the AVR.  Omit it, and you'll at least get a working C++ compiler,
though of course no C++ standard library.

And watch out the generated code.  A missing `&' can cause a disaster
killing the performance (and/or memory) of your AVR.