[avr-gcc-list] GCC snapshots

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] GCC snapshots
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:53:39 +0200 (CEST)

I've received a few reports of strange failures from people trying to
use avr-libc-20020612 with too old version of GCC.  As I just checked,
snapshots still track the 3.1 release branch, so the latest avr-libc
will not work - you have to use CVS which will be the 3.2 release.

$ avr-gcc --version
avr-gcc (GCC) 3.2 20020609 (experimental)

If it says 3.1.1 200206xx (prerelease) - latest avr-libc will not work.
I'll probably add a GCC version check to avr-libc header files, so that
there is a clear #error message instead of strange linker errors...
Also note the updated doc/INSTALL file.

When upgrading the tools, it is a good idea to upgrade binutils first -
new GCC (3.2 CVS) requires new binutils, while old GCC (3.0.x, 3.1.x)
works with both old (2.12) and new (CVS) binutils (without any new
features - but devices that were supported, still are).

Then upgrade GCC to the 3.2 (CVS) version, and avr-libc - new GCC won't
work with old avr-libc and old GCC won't work with new avr-libc.  When
switching versions (production/development), you have to switch GCC and
avr-libc at the same time, while you can always use the latest binutils.

Sorry for any inconvenience, hopefully some backwards-incompatibility
now will help making it easier to support new chips in the future
(when Atmel decides to tell us about them...).

I hope the situation with GCC snapshots is temporary, and will return
to normal (following CVS mainline) after 3.1.1 is out.

Hope this helps,
Marek