AVR Print server connection - Re: [avr-gcc-list] USB or FireWire ?

From: Grant Stockly
Subject: AVR Print server connection - Re: [avr-gcc-list] USB or FireWire ?
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:02:49 -0800

I just joined the list and so this is a late reply, but I thought I should mention that its possible to interface an AVR to an Etnernet print server by using the protocol described. A 2313 at 7.456MHz is able to get 124kbyte/s off the print server.

I specifically used the printserver for an mp3 player. All that was needed was to open an FTP connection to the print server and "upload" the mp3. The mp3 would then copy at the bitrate of the mp3 (due to the fact of the MAS3507D's demand pin). (19kbyte/s...) The print server had 128kbyte of sram buffer so I had plenty of time to get the next file uploaded. I never had ANY problems with 320kbit MP3s. Nothing would make the thing stutter.

The print server could be used for many things, such as an intelligent Christmas light controller located far away from a host PC, the host PC could even be located accross the world! : ) My HP Jet direct can get a dynamic IP right off the cable modem...

Grant