Re: [avr-gcc-list] movin' up to Linux

From: Marlin Unruh
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] movin' up to Linux
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 17:13:21 -0700

At 07:46 AM 11/3/2002 -0800, Jeff wrote:

>Eagle is not GPL but it's free (as in beer) and it does run on Linux
>nicely. See: http://www.cadsoft.de
>
>Later,
>Jeff

I actual own eagle professional both versions for Windows and Linux. The problem with the Linux install is that it was for Red Hat 6.2 and I can't seem to get all the dependencies resolved to use it with RH 8.0. I downloaded the free version to see what it is like because mine is 3-4 years old. I really prefer the older version. I downloaded the lib???.so.5 stuff and it seemed to install but the Eagle RPM installer doesn't seem to find the library items. I'm not sure if the one package is installing right because it hangs and doesn't close the dialog box. Dependencies are a pain, at least for me. One of Linux draw backs? I'm sure some of you gurus could get it going no problem.

I really was thinking more of CAD drafting software for mechanical drawing. I use a really nice CAD program under windows called Graphite by Ashlar Vellum. Once you use this program all the others seem barbaric. It uses artificial intelligence to determine what you want to do. Works well. Keeps you from going to menus as much.

Thank you for the responses to my questions. The links, etc.

Sorry for using up precious band width. This is really OT

Marlin
---