Re: [avr-gcc-list] Elf - coff volatile

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Elf - coff volatile
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 15:40:25 -0700

On 4 Nov 2002 at 23:27, Jesper Hansen wrote:

> Yes, that guy was me. You can search the forum or just go back and
> look at the old messages, and you'll find the message from the AVR
> studio development manager, promising all kinds of fantastic things.
> That WAS February 2002. I'll bet quite a lot that there will be NO
> 3-rd party support by February 2003, and I'm even willing to bet that
> it won't be there in 2004 either. What really pisses me off is that
> Atmel hyped and tooted the new Studio as an open tool with lots of
> API's and nice hooks (just look at the marketing texts), yet they have
> failed to supply ANY documentation of how to use these. And, as we all
> know, there's a LOT of bugs in the simulator. I can only come to one
> result, which I've already tried to convey to Atmel, (and which they
> obviously heavily denied) is that the guys working on the tool is
> really incompenent (or lazy). Another stupid thing which the Dev
> Manager blurped out (as a response to my question of why they didn't
> release a Beta, so we - the AVR community - could help find any bugs
> at an early state), was that they had indeed tested the tool enough,
> and that what they were releasing was in fact a release version, not a
> beta.  HAHAHA !  The sad thing about all this, is that it's probably
> still the same morons sitting and hacking at the tool. That's why we
> don't see any development advances.
>
> Phew, felt good to get that out ;-)
>
> /Jesper

Thanks for setting the record straight Jesper. Sorry to refer to you
as "some guy". It's hard trying to remember all the names. :-)

Somehow I get the feeling that it's not a case of morons hacking at a
tool. It feels like two things:
1. A business "partnership" (conspiracy) between Atmel and IAR. And
they are not going to let another tool get between them.
2. Economy. I'm sure Atmel is going to spend time and money on their
core business of electronic devices and not spending time and money
on "peripheral" things like software tools. Which this could be the
reason why number 1 above is happening.

Again, these are just educated guesses.

Eric