Re: Fw: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Elf - coff volatile

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Elf - coff volatile
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 16:57:20 -0700

On 5 Nov 2002 at 0:02, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:

> > There are a number of problems with elfcoff. Search the GCC forum on
> > AVRFreaks about problems with elfcoff. There is a recent patch as
> > well as someone is re-writing the tool to fix various bugs with
> > elfcoff.
> >
> > Someone has asked on this list if anyone has ever before worked on
> > binutils to produce a COFF output file for AVR, but there has been
> > no response.
>
> Here is one response (my opinion):
>
> It would be much better if AVR Studio could support ELF directly,
> eliminating the need for elfcoff.  Perhaps if enough people ask for
> ELF support, that would help Atmel make the right decision? :)
>
> Marek

Sure, that would be an ideal. I've also heard that AVR Studio
supports the UBROF format better than COFF, with UBROF being the
preferred format from IAR.

Probably the best ideal would be a complete, open IDE on Windows
which would include easy hooks to deploy compiler, debugger,
simulator, whatever. I have some ideas for the open IDE, but I also
know nothing about GDB for Windows. If this could get going, it could
then be a replacement for AVR Studio without elfcoff.

I also do know that ideas are nothing but vaporware and I'm slammed
for time at work.

Eric