[avr-gcc-list] Question about char pointers & avr-gcc on ATmega128

From: Robert_Beatty
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Question about char pointers & avr-gcc on ATmega128
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:10:19 -0500

Hi!

I've read a few postings in AVRFREAKS and seen some discussion here that
leads me to believe that char pointers are handled by avr-gcc as 24 bits in
order to accommodate the larger 128K memory size.  Although my program is
not yet over the 64K boundary, it will be soon.  When I've looked at the
generated code so far, it appears that the pointers are 16 bit values.  My
questions:

      Does the compiler switch over once the boundary is crossed?

      Am I completely messed up in my understanding?

I'm betting on the latter.  Thanks in advance!

E: address@hidden