[avr-gcc-list] C++ virtual functions - alignment is greater than maximum

From: Peter Davidson
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] C++ virtual functions - alignment is greater than maximum
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 03:11:37 +1000

Hi. I am trying to develop an app in C++ using avr-gcc (V3.2). I know that
many people think that C++ and small processors don't go well together, but
for me it makes things much clearer without much overhead (I am very careful
with what I use).

Things were going well until I included my first virtual function. Once I
worked out that I needed -fno-exceptions and -fno-rtti the app compiled, but
I get the following warning

COMMS.h:126: warning: alignment of `int (*hw_uart::_ZTV7hw_uart[5])(...)' is
   greater than maximum object file alignment. Using 1

Is this a problem?

Also, has anyone had any luck with ElfCoff and C++.  I always get errors
like

  Error on parsing symbol      185 -> Type : 404x Desc :
pIt:r(1,30)=*(1,31)=k(0,2)

when I compile C++ code. I have yet to try avr-gdb, but it would be nice to
be able to use Atmel's AVR-Studio for debugging.

Any advice would be appreciated.