Re: [avr-gcc-list] Assembler programs with avr-as

From: Bruce D. Lightner
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Assembler programs with avr-as
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:07:34 -0800

Gentlemen:

> To the best of my knowledge, you _could_ use avr-as standalone.
> Although doing so, you can't use the C preprocessor (ok, you could
> run it manually, but that'd be a royal pain) and you'd have to write
> (or port) include files.

My tests show that the following works under both Win32 and Linux...

   avr-gcc -c -x assembler foo.s

where "foo.s" is your AVR assembly source file.  The gcc pre-processor
will be run on the source file *before* the assembler is invoked.

Under my Linux version, the preprocessor is run even if the "-x assembler"
option is left off.  (Under Unix (i.e., SunOS and Solaris), as I recall,
".s" files did not get preprocessing, but ".S" files did.)

If you do this and then add the proper collection of "#include" directives
to your assembly source code, you will likely get all the important I/O
definitions, like PORTB, PINB, etc.

I've been unable to get rid of all of my old AVR assembly code, but I'm
trying!

BEWARE: AVR *assembler* macro expansion (not gcc preprocessor macros) was
"broken" in a few areas by the switch to gcc 3.x.  If you have any
"tricky" AVRASM macros, you may encounter problems, as we did.

Best regards,

Bruce

--
 Bruce D. Lightner