[avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc & avr studio woes

From: Dick Ginther
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc & avr studio woes
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:54:28 -0600

Hi,
        I'm new to this list so I apologize if this has been
covered before...but:

The tools I am using are:
1) AVR Studio 4.05 (Build 181)
2) Win 32 AVR-GCC 3.2 (AVR Freaks release June 25, 2002)
3) Atmel JTAG ICE debugger
4) Windows 2000 Pro
5) Atmel MEGA128L

The problem is:
I compile the project using the AVR Freaks make file, which will
generate the hex, obj, elf, and coff files. I open the COFF file
in AVR Studio and start a debug session. The code is downloaded
to the MEGA, I can step through the code, set up breakpoints, etc,
but I am unable to watch variables (even global variables). On a
couple of instances, values did appear for the watch variable,
but the value was wrong. For the most part, the watches indicate
either "Internal error" or "Variable out of scope". My understanding
is that the COFF file will contain all the necessary info to watch
variables in AVR Studio.