[avr-gcc-list] Linker sections

From: Marko Panger
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Linker sections
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:14:31 +0100

Hello all !

I am developing a application which uses external RAM and must have the
capability to update some data arrays which are stored in flash.

For variables which must be placed in XRAM I used the
"--section-start=EXT_RAM=0x801100" linker command and it seems to work. Now,
my problem is that I have to place some functions (kind of bootloader) into
the upper part of the flash. I tried to declare a function with
"__attribute__ ((section (".bootloader")))" attribute and passed this
section in the same way I did with variables.

(LDFLAGS
= -Wl,--section-start=EXT_RAM=0x801100,--section-start=.bootloader=0xd000,-M
ap=$(TARGET).map,--cref)

The linker didn't complained and the generated *map file looks OK, but If I
upload the code in FLASH and then I read it out there is NO valid code at
0xd000. (See below part of my map file)

.bootloader     0x0000d000       0x22
 .bootloader    0x0000d000       0x22 flash.o
                0x0000d000                WriteFlash

I presume I am doing something wrong when I am passing "section-start"
commands to the linker.

Any comments, suggestions ?

Best Regards,
Marko