RE: [avr-gcc-list] [ANN] WinAVR 20030312 Released

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] [ANN] WinAVR 20030312 Released
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:11:28 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Marc Wetzel wrote:

:) >
:) > GDB has its advantages and disadvantages compared to AVR
:) > Studio.  It does not have the I/O view window, and it is not
:)
:) I/O is possible. Afaik from the gdb sources, Ted added getting I/O
:) information,
:) But as far as I tested avarice wasn't able to answer the right questions
:) :)

Someone sent me a patch for avarice which adds basic support
this in avarice2. It's not pretty and only work with the mega16. I
haven't had time to massage it and commit it.

:) My knowledge from insight: gdb should burn your binary perfectly.

In theory you could use the "load" command from gdb to upload the
program into flash. I've never gotten it work with avarice (1.5
vintage, might work with 2.0 though).

As for insight or gvd, I use ddd or emacs as a gui for gdb.

Do some digging, there's also a builtin, tui mode (text user
interface) for gdb for displaying the source and/or asm which will be
on by default one of these days...

Ted Roth