Re: [avr-gcc-list] stdio problem fixed

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] stdio problem fixed
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:38:45 +0100 (MET)

"Sander Pool" <address@hidden> wrote:

> So in any case, when you return a non-null value printf still works
> but puts does not, it only prints the first character.

Hmm.

> Still, is this expected behavior?

[Perhaps the following should rather be discussed at the avr-libc-dev
mailing list.]

Probably not.  I'm not sure, what should i do about an error return of
the put() function?  Currently, vfprintf() still continues, but
doesn't increase the »characters sent« counter (that will form the
return value).  [f]puts() obviously aborts upon seeing an error.

I'm willing to make both functions behave the same.  I don't see a
clear way mandated by the standard whether any output attempt needs to
be aborted after an error or not.  So i could either make [f]puts()
continue on error (but have to remember the error flag since it needs
to be returned), or make vfprintf() stop on error.

I tend towards the latter, it sounds more logical to me to stop on
error.