Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging assembly code

From: Volkmar Dierkes
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging assembly code
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 22:14:35 +0100

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:54:13 +0100 (MET), Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> "Larry Barello" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> 1. Can COFF format handle modules acquired from a library in a
>> different directory from the working directory?
>
> That's not a matter of COFF itself, it's merely up to the COFF
> consumer (i. e., AVR Studio, VMLAB, etc.) to search in other
> directories.  GDB provides this feature (the »dir« command), IMHO AVR
> Studio doesn't provide it, i don't know about VMLAB.

objtool is looking only in the current folder. If you want to add
some other source files you have to copy them to the project folder
before calling objtool.

VMLAB only uses the files which are listed in the prj-file for
source level debugging. But it can only jump into these files if
they are referenced by the COFF.

>> Is there a better forum for .coff issues?
>
> alt.folklore.computers :-)

LOL

> It's still not clear to me why they have chosen an object file format
> when it was clear that this format has already been obsolete for
> almost a decade when they started their project.

I assume we will never know about that. Mostly such issues depends
on historical issues or ...

Volkmar