Re: [avr-gcc-list] Program flow problems when including stdlib.h

From: Wallace White
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Program flow problems when including stdlib.h
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:30:13 -0800 (PST)

--- "E. Weddington" <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2003 at 10:16, Wallace White wrote:
>
> > I'm having problems using an emulator in AVR Studio. The problem
> > occurs only when the source files include stdlib.h.
> >
> > Program flow does not occur as expected. After reset, the program
> > counter and the source code are not pointing to the start of
> main();.
> > >From there, the source code jumps from line to line strangely,
> > sometimes even showing comment lines as the current line.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is the actual program flow in the emulator or
> > just what AVR Studio is showing; I'm having some problems in the
> code
> > presently that make it hard to tell.
> >
> > AVR Studio 3.56, loading .cof file
> > avr-gcc 2002-06-25 (from avrfreaks.net link)
> > AVR ICE200 emulating 8535
>
> You should upgrade to the WinAVR 20030312 release which contains
> recent versions of all the tools and includes GDB and AVaRICE for in-
> circuit emulation.
>
> See <http://winavr.sourceforge.net/> for more information.
>
> Eric

Thanks, Eric. I see that the WinAVR avr-gcc is much newer than the
avr-gcc I had downloaded from avrfreaks.

I took a look at the gdb and AVaRICE docs. It sounds like they do not
offer some of the conveniences of AVR Studio, like windows for watch,
processor, code, etc. So I'd like to continue to use the AVR Studio for
debugging. Is this possible--or advisable? I tried running elfcoff on
WinAVR's .hex file but got an error...

Thanks,
Wallace