Re: [avr-gcc-list] Jedit as a IDE

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Jedit as a IDE
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 08:54:40 +0200

> Hello all !
>
> I am sorry for this off the topic question but someone might help me here.

Ideas for good editors or IDEs are always of interest to developers (except
for devoted emacs or vim fanatics, for whom such posts are heresay :-).

I use jedit as my main editor.  If your machine can cope with the absurd
amount of memory the java VM needs (it makes emacs look efficient ! ), then
it is a very good editor.  What you are looking for now is the console
plugin, which basically gives you a command shell and captures the output,
along with the error list plugin, which will interpret the output of make
and gcc and let you jump to lines with errors or warnings.  One very nice
feature is that the error list updated with small changes in the code - if
you jump to one error, and add a line to correct the problem, then jump to
the next error, you go to the line with the error, not the line before -
jedit is smart enough to adjust the error line numbers.

mvh.

David