Re: [avr-gcc-list] relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL _asmfunc

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL _asmfunc
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 18:07:29 +0200

As Mattias Svensson wrote:

> > Use JMP instead of RJMP.

> I noted that the mega16 had JMP added to the instruction set, now I
> see why.

Even the 8 KB ATmegas do have it (the AT90S8xxx didn't), but the 8 KB
devices don't require it.

> Just for the record, and my understanding.
> rjmp is described as: PC <- PC + k +1
> and jmp as: PC <- k
> So on a at90s8535 and the like that does not have jmp the linker has to
> calculate k at every place the rjmp is used in a way that it relatively
> points to the absolute address of the function jumped to...

Yep.  But it's not that much of a burden for the linker.  On the pro
side, the instruction still fits into one word of flash, while the
absolute JUMP/CALL instructions (that are needed for the > 8 KB
devices unless you can be sure you're within short distance) use two
words of flash (and thus also require one more clock cycle).