Re: [avr-gcc-list] avrstudio and avr-gcc

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avrstudio and avr-gcc
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 16:21:26 -0600

On 6 May 2003 at 21:31, Omer Sinan KAYA wrote:

> hi,
> i've been recently playing with winavr and avrstudio . I've read the
> readme.txt and applied all the steps and i was able to use avrstudio
> for debugging.
>
> Avrstudio requires coff file format for debugging. However , "make
> all" command produces hex and elf file.In order to make coff
> compatible file usage of "make coff" is needed which is not mentioned
> in the readme.txt. I think there is a problem with the make file.
>
> The other step to debug the application is to open the coff file with
> the avrstudio which is not mentioned for people who didnt use
> avrstudio before . After having tried to run the application from the
> project ,i found that i was able to debug application with opening the
> coff file.

You're right. These things need to be documented in WinAVR. I'll see
that it gets put in. Thanks.

> BTW, i'm now able to debug the application but i 'm having some
> strange problems with avrstudio. I 'm trying to port an xml parser to
> the atmel environment .
>
> In this function i use 512 as the blocksize
> and address of the reader pointer for first param , when i debug and
> see what the value of blocksize is , i see 0x033e0527.Am i missing
> something ?
>
> LPBUFFEREDISTREAM BufferedIStream_Init(LPBUFFEREDISTREAM reader, s32
> blocksize) { memset(reader, 0, sizeof(BUFFEREDISTREAM)); r->blocksize
> = blocksize; r->maxbufsize = BIS_DEFAULT_MAXBUFSIZE; return reader; }

Hmm. It's known that the objtool program is buggy. There is work in
progress to provide a better ELF to AVR COFF converter. It is
currently in the alpha testing phase right now. It is expected to go
into beta testing later on in the month.

> I've attached a sample project for avrstudio to the mail which might
> be put to the project directory so that people might start debugging
> directly.("classic hello world application",i dont know where output
> of printf goes, libc documentation says that it has to be directed to
> a file descriptor)

Check the avr-libc documentation a little more closely as to how to
setup a printf function.

Eric