Re: [avr-gcc-list] warning: built-in function `index' declared asnon-fun

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] warning: built-in function `index' declared asnon-function
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 16:04:45 +0200

> > If you have access to a linux (or any other Unix variant) and want to
find
> > out what a function does, you can usually just type
> >
> > man function

For those who don't have a *nix type system at hand, here is a copy of the
man page from my cygwin installation.  The library and perhaps the details
will vary according to what C library you have installed, but basically it
is the same as strchr.

INDEX(3)                            NEWLIB
INDEX(3)

NAME
       `index'--search for character in string

SYNOPSIS
            #include <string.h>
            char * index(const char *STRING, int C);

DESCRIPTION
       This  function  finds the first occurence of C (converted to a char)
in
       the string pointed to by STRING (including the terminating null
charac-
       ter).

          This function is identical to `strchr'.

RETURNS
       Returns a pointer to the located character, or a null pointer if C
does
       not occur in STRING.

PORTABILITY
       `index' requires no supporting OS subroutines.

SEE ALSO
       index is part of the libc library.  The full documentation for libc
is
       maintained  as  a  Texinfo  manual.   If  info  and  libc  are
properly
       installed at your site, the command

              info libc

       will give you access to the complete manual.

NEWLIB                            2003 Mar 31
INDEX(3)