[avr-gcc-list] Extremly confusing behaviour...

From: Mike Panetta
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Extremly confusing behaviour...
Date: 13 May 2003 16:08:01 -0400

I am trying to get some code to work that interfaces with some sonar
modules, and I have run into a real odd problem.  If I write the code
that accesses the sensors in a streight line (IE not in a for loop)
the code just above it that polls one of the sensors to see if they are
ready works.  If I write the sensor reading code in a for loop, it does
not work at all.  The code that fails is not being changed by me in any
way (I have no clue what the compiler may or may not be doing to it
however) so I do not understand why in one case its failing, and in
another it works fine.  I do not know if its a compiler bug, or maybe I
am just stupidly overlooking something in my own code...  The code is
attached, the exact bit of code I am referring to is between the #if 1,
#else, and #endif compiler directives.  To sum it up, if I change the
#if 1 to an #if 0 (to enable the inline code and disable the looped
code) the code works fine.  If I leave it as #if 1 (to use the looped
code) I never get to the 'printf("Gathering ping data from sensors.\n")'
line.

Thanks for any help,
Mike