[avr-gcc-list] avr-gdb testers wanted

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gdb testers wanted
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 23:09:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I've spent the last two weeks beating my head against the avr port for gdb.
I finally have it working again. The avr-tdep.c file has changed
significantly as such:

  - removed all uses of deprecated interfaces (this was the majority of the
    work)
  - fixed a buffer overflow in the prologue scanner which caused semi random
    seg faults (originally reported by David Gay, then later by Klaus
    Rudolph)
  - Fixed a problem when set r28/r28 registers due to mixing them with the
    virtual frame pointer register (reported by Klaus Rudolph).
  - fixed a bunch of buglets in the prologue scanner.

I'm hoping that the changes will also make stepping into a function which
lacks a prologue work more predictably. For example, there was many a time I
would step into a function, and gdb would miss the first line of executable
code. I think I have this figured out now.

Since the gdb folks are planning on branching 6.0 in about two weeks, I'd
like to get some more people to test it. I haven't started committing it to
cvs yes since it's pretty rough. Although, it does seem to work more
consistently for me than what is in cvs now.

I just did some testing with the latest cvs of avarice and my jtagice with
the latest firmware (0x78). It looked pretty good.

Anyone interested in trying out the new code, please send me an email off
list and I will send you a copy. This will _not_ compile with gdb-5.3, you
_must_ have latest gdb source from right now since I'm using some stuff that
was only committed today.

Thanks.

Ted Roth