Re: [avr-gcc-list] Use of autoconf/automake with avr-gcc

From: Russell Shaw
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Use of autoconf/automake with avr-gcc
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:32:35 +1000

Nick Downing wrote:
dear List,

Can anyone point me towards a simple example of a program which is
portable between PC (linux-gnu) and AVR (avr-libc) ??  I am trying to
set up "autoconf" and "automake" but I'm really tearing my hair out.

IMHO, it's best to use autotools only for systems programs, because that's
was it was designed for. It was designed to test the compatibility of
programs for a host it is currently installed on, which precludes most
small embedded micros.

I've made makefiles that just have conditional parts that work depending
on a global variable such as "MAKE_PC" or "MAKE_AVR".