[avr-gcc-list] New Issues: AVRStudio and debugging with .COF Files

From: Bryan Jarmain
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] New Issues: AVRStudio and debugging with .COF Files
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:27:28 +0200

Hi

I have been having some difficulties with the new ELF to Coff converter
(Beta) running on AVR Studio 4.07 with the JTAG ICE, some of which I didn't
have before:

1) When loading the COFF file into Studio, the debugging doesn't start at
main. I need to step through until I get past the init functions. This is a
relatively minor issue, but a bit annoying.
2) After loading the COFF file, the contents of all constant arrays
disappear. If I load the HEX file they reappear. If I then reload the COFF
file, they remain until I reload the COFF, at which point I need to repeat
the process.
3) Local variables cannot be watched - same problems occur as with the old
Elf to Coff converter (ObjTools). I need to look at the assembler and then
check the register.

I don't know if some or all of these are bugs in AVR Studio or in the new
elf to coff converter, but if anyone knows how to get around some of these
in a less tedious way, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Regards
Bryan