RE: [avr-gcc-list] New Issues: AVRStudio and debugging with .COF Files

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] New Issues: AVRStudio and debugging with .COF Files
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:43:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Ralph Mason wrote:

:) My experience is that Avarice provides good if not somewhat slow debugging
:) for me.  I really need to be able to set the JTag speed to about 2Mhz.

Well, if Atmel would tell me how to do that...

:)
:) It would also be nice if AVARICE didn't download the code every time and
:) could just connect and debug.

I do this all the time. Program the device once, debug many sessions.
Of course, you have to reprogram if you change the code.

What command are you using to start avarice? I usually do this:

  $ avarice -p -f my_prog.elf
  $ avarice --ignore-intr localhost 1212

the first one programs the device and quits, the second one just
starts a gdbserver waiting for gdb to connect.

:)
:) GDB blows away AVRStudio in power but not in ease of use if you've never
:) used it before.

Agreed. Some of the gui front ends help, although I'm slowing
reverting to just using avr-gdb with emacs (clicking in the gui
is becoming too slow ;-).

One thing I've really come to like about gdb is being able to attach
to a running avr-gdb with the native linux gdb and debug on demand. I
don't have to switch commands sets so it's easy on my feeble mind. The
average user probably won't care about this all the much though, for
obvious reasons. ;-)

:)
:) Some stuff that would be cool would be if it would save one HW bp for single
:) stepping so when you step over a statement it's fast.

This may be a limitation of how gdb works internally. In the end, I'm
not sure that gdb/avarice will ever be as fast as avrstudio because of
that and the inside information which Atmel has which I lack.

:)
:) Thanks for your work.

Always happy to help.

Ted Roth