Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-as and debugging symbols

From: manders1
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-as and debugging symbols
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:24:30 -0400

1. Downloaded gdb-5.3 source and compiled it for
--target=avr.  No problems.

2. Downloaded simulavr source and compiled for
Linux.  No problems.

3. Wrote a small C program, compiled and linked
it using avr-gcc and avr-ld.  No problems.

4. Ran simulavr and avr-gb.  After a little
playing to get the remote connection established
using "target remote localhost:1212" I was up
and running.  Great.

5. Wrote a small assembly language program,
assembled and linked it using avr-as and avr-ld.
No problems.

6. Ran simulavr and avr-gb.  No problems except
that I used:

    RAMEND = 0x25F
    SPL = 0x3D
    SPH = 0x3E
    tmp = 16

    ldi     tmp, hi8 (RAMEND)
    out     SPH, tmp
    ldi     tmp, lo8 (RAMEND)
    out     SPL, tmp

When I tried to do the following in gdb:

    gdb> print tmp
    gdb> print $tmp

I couldn't get any valid data.  The only thing
that seemed to work was:

    gdb> print $16

Any ideas?  What does symbolic mean in gdb in the
case of assembler EQUs?

So, all in all it was quite easy.  Thank you all
for the help.  It saved me a lot of time.

Now I have to decide if there is enough capability
in simulavr to meet my needs or if I need to maybe
add some new simulation stuff.  I took a look at
the simulavr documentation and it appears well
thought out so it shouldn't be too difficult.

--
mark anderson
address@hidden