[avr-gcc-list] debug environment questions

From: Ewout
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] debug environment questions
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:53:00 +1200 (NZST)

Hi all,

I would like to hear others' opinions on how they
preferably would set up a debug environment for the
AVR.

I developed a software package on a different
architecture and am porting it to the AVR. I ordered
the stk-500 board plus the JTAG ICE to do this. The
question I have, is it worth to use AVR studio that
comes with the stk-500 kit? I've heard some good/bad
news about it, mainly about problems with the COFF
file format.

My main development system is FreeBSD with gcc and gdb
running on it. I know I can hook up the ICE  through
avarice to gdb and I would prefer that since I am
familiar with the GNU toolchain. However, if AVR
Studio has a important features that I would miss out
on, I would use that.

Ewout Boks