Re: [avr-gcc-list] problem with avrdude

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] problem with avrdude
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:31:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Remy Schleimer wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have acquired a nice MR-163 from microrobot, which comes with a nice
> programming dongle and a board equipped with a atmega163. Unfortunately,
> the cdrom coming along with it is Windows only, while I am Linux only.
> So I tried avrdude (avrdude-4.1.0). But I get a "can't claim device"
> error (see below).
> Any idea what I am doing wrong?
> Thanks
> Remy
> :
> # avrdude -p m163 -c stk200
> avrdude: can't claim device "/dev/lp0": Invalid argument
>
> # ls -l /dev/lp0
> crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   0 2002-03-14 22:54 /dev/lp0

You probably need to use "/dev/parport0" instead of "/dev/lp0".

You will also need your permissions to look like this:

address@hidden:~$ ls -al /dev/lp0 /dev/parport0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   0 Jun 13  2001 /dev/lp0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root      99,   0 Oct 22  2002 /dev/parport0

so that you won't have to run as root.

Ted Roth