RE: [avr-gcc-list] Comma Operator in #define

From: Tom Harris
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Comma Operator in #define
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:07:34 +1000

I think that commas only seperates expressions, which are evaluated and the
result is the result of the last expression, so that

a = ++b, c;

sets a to the value of c, after incrementing b. I have never seen the point
of using it, it seems to lead to hard to understand code.

The `asm` is a statement, not an expression, so it must be terminated by a
semicolon.

Why not define an inline function for your code? It will have the same
effect as a #define, but be safer.

(in a header file):
extern inline void set_clock(uint8_t x) {
        asm volatile("nop\n\t"::);
        PORTB |= BIT3;
}

TomH <tomh(AT)optiscan(DOT)com>