RE: [avr-gcc-list] movw and asm

From: Rune Christensen
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] movw and asm
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:43:24 +0200

Hello

What device are you talking about ??

I think that avr-gcc is little endian.
The AVR's are byte aligned.

Best Regards
Rune Christensen

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden Behalf Of James Dabbs
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 10:14 PM
To: address@hidden
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] movw and asm

I am interested in using the movw instruction in inline assembler.  I am
working on several 32-bit values as "r" parameters, but right now I have no
way of knowing whether %a0,%b0,%c0,%d0 is aligned in any way on register
boundaries or whether they are organized sequentially or what.  Using movw
could save me about 10% performance and I am down to counting cycles on a
16-mhz part.

Any "assemble time" or "compile time" test to figure out whether the
compiler has placed these values on lucky boundaries would work.  Also, if
the compiler has conventions about where these things are located, that
could work too.  I have found nothing on the net.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!