RE: [avr-gcc-list] Difficulties switching from Mega103 to Mega128

From: Scott and Roxanne Munns
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Difficulties switching from Mega103 to Mega128
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:04:43 -0500

Brian,

Are you using PORTA and PORTC as I/O ports or as address/data ports to
memory-map the VFD into the Mega128's data space?  Some of your previous
comments hinted one way, and some hinted the other way, so I'm not sure.  If
you don't know, check for a 74x573 latch (or equivalent) between the PORTA
lines and the VFD.  If you have one, it's probably using the external memory
interface (memory mapping).  You can also check in the software to see if
the MCUCR register has the SRE bit (bit 7) set.  If so, the external memory
interface is enabled.

It appears that my colleague may have solved the problem between the Mega103
and the Mega128 in Mega103 compatibility mode today.  The timing and
presentation of address and data info on the external memory interface has
definitely changed (try comparing timing diagrams of both processors).  It
seems that inserting a "nop" in between any consecutive reads and writes
through the external memory interface "solves" the problem.  Since the code
was written in assembly, it was easy to find and change the behavior.  As we
learn more about the exact failure mode and whether this is an Atmel issue,
LCD display driver issue, or just a bad combination of the two, I'll post
updates to the list.

Scott