Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-as and symbolic debugging in AVR Studio 4

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-as and symbolic debugging in AVR Studio 4
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:37:55 +0200 (MET DST)

As "Brian Cuthie" <address@hidden> wrote:

>BIG step forward. Thanks!

[Btw., i think avr-objcopy's handling of type 100 stabs can be
improved, so simply specifying one of those lines with the filename
will suffice.  However, that has rather low priority to me, there are
still more urgent bugs which i'm supposed to fix yet didn't found the
time so far.]

>But I'm still getting a complaint from objcopy that "Foo" isn't in the
>symbol table. Looks to me like it is. Can you help me understand what's
>going on here, and whether it's significant?

It's a warning only.  The COFF conversion first analyzes the standard
symbol table provided by the input object file, and memorizes all
relevant symbols from it.  Next, the debugging symbols are processed.
Since COFF's debugging information is going to be inserted into the
standard symbol table, and standard symbols do need to have section
information, an attempt is made to match the debugging symbol against
the corresponding non-debugging symbol, since this is the only
reliable way to obtain the section information.  Then, a new symtab
symbol is formed from the combined (standard + debugging) information.

Somehow, this match fails in your case (i. e. there's a debugging
symbol where no matching non-debugging had been found), and so the
converter assumes the symbol belongs to the `text' section.  That's
alls this warning is telling you.  Incidentally, this was exactly the
right decision in your case anyway, so you can ignore the warning.

If you're going to use AVR Studio for debugging, the entire point is
almost moot since AVR Studio cannot handle code inside anything else
than a .text section...

demo.out« in a private mail.  It would be interesting to see why this
warning happens.

>F:\Temp>avr-as -alms --gstabs -mmcu=atmega16 -Z -o demo.a demo.s

demo.a is a poor name.  The suffix .a is conventionally reserved for
archive files (which could be object archives), and the linker has a
special handling for them.  demo.o would be the conventional name for
a standard (relocatable) object file.