Re[2]: [avr-gcc-list] GCC-AVR Update (20082003)

From: Stephan Eisvogel
Subject: Re[2]: [avr-gcc-list] GCC-AVR Update (20082003)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:15:51 +0200

On Monday, August 25, 2003, 11:43:14 AM, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> Btw., did you time it?  I'd be surprised if this `optimization' really
> yields more than 5 % speed gain (for really large projects where disk
> IO is not the limiting factor -- and these large projects are probably
> rare in MCU environments).
> Since a single user did have problems with this (reported a GPF), i'd
> say it's better to stick to the default settings.

You  are  right.  When  new stuff for avr-gcc shows up (and I got some
time) I'll provide both i386 and i686 binaries for these changes. Also
of  note, I've put up all patches on the web as Eric requested them as
well,  so  it  should  be  no  problem  for  anyone  to roll their own
toolchain on MinGW and Windows.

The  space  optimization  tricks  that  IAR  does  have  seems like an
interesting  thread to follow. Since avr-gcc and Atmel's AVRs are here
to stay, it certainly would pay off to get those integrated.

Stephan