Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to do multi-line assembler macros?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to do multi-line assembler macros?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:41:12 +0200 (MET DST)

As "E. Weddington" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Speaking about this, AVR Studio uses well-known names that contain
>> question marks to emulate their (arguably crappy) UART IO
>> simulation (?C_GETCHAR and ?C_PUTCHAR).  Currently, gas does not
>> support names like this, could this perhaps be made happen?  If so,
>> we could easily provide this option in avr-libc as well (albeit AVR
>> Studio 4 doesn't have that feature at all by now, only AS3).

>[OT]
>Instead of providing this feature to work work with AS3
>(since at some point it will be deprecated over AS4), why

My guess is that they'll eventually implement it in AS4 some
day, too.

>not see if something like it can be provided with
>GDB/Insight + SimulAVR.

In a single word: the AVR Studio ``emulation'' is crap.

If simulavr is going to implement something like that, do it the right
way.  Basically, the same as VMLAB is doing.  You implement a true
UART peripheral that routes its data stream to outside.  Under Unix,
this could happen via a pseudo terminal API, dunno what Windows might
have to offer for this.  Perhaps you ignore baud rate issues in a
first implementation (VMLAB does even this: if you somehow mishandle
the baud rate generation, you'll see similar junk in their terminal
window as you'd observe with a true RS-232 connection).

Anyway, the AVR Studio `emulation' is somewhat like a checkbox item,
and it's cheap to implement provided our assembler would allow for
question marks in symbol names.  (It could be implemented without this
as well, by renaming the symbols externally, but that'd obfuscate the
Makefile infrastructure quite a bit.)