Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to do multi-line assembler macros?

From: David Gay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to do multi-line assembler macros?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:32:55 -0700

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As Marek Michalkiewicz <address@hidden> wrote:
I haven't seen '$' used as part of identifiers in any real C sources,
I don't think it is part of the C standard.

The gcc web page says this about it: "Traditional C allowed the character `$' to form part of identifiers. However, ISO C and C++ forbid `$' in identifiers.". The C99 standard has a comment about $ in identifiers being a "common extension"...

It's certainly not part of the standard, but see

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.1/gcc/Dollar-Signs.html

IMHO, the AVR target thus classifies as a target machine where the
assembler does not allow them, so they would best be disabled at the
compiler level.

Ick. We (TinyOS) are relying on them in generated code (and use a modified assembler...). It would be reasonable to make the default to forbid $, but then -fdollars-in-identifiers should work to reenable them.

David Gay
address@hidden