RE: [avr-gcc-list] Stepper motor driving?

From: Rune Christensen
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Stepper motor driving?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:58:29 +0200

Hello

Atmel have an application note AVR360 Step Motor Controller
This is a very short one.

There is also several application notes with keyboard and displays.

I think you will need a driver between the step motor and the avr.
I will select the at90s2313.

If you use a numeric PS/2 keyboard, then you will only need two I/O pins to
connect to the keyboard.
The display can be a 16 chars X 1 line lcd in 4 bit mode (with r/w hardwired
to w) that will use 4 data + 2 control.

Then you will you will use 8 I/O pins for interface.
Leaving 7 I/O pins to the step motor.
You will also need something to activate the camera if it's taking still
pictures.

If the step motor driver has an enable pin you will be able to multiplex
some of the pins. That will say that the 4 data pins could also be used for
the step motor. Because the display and the motor wouldn't be active at the
same time.

I found a little step motor tutorial on http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/

Some links
diagram - http://www.jrkerr.com/pstep_bd.pdf
L297 - http://www.micromouse.co.uk/datasheets/data/l297.pdf
L298 - http://www.micromouse.co.uk/datasheets/data/l298.pdf

The driver could be a L298.
It should be possible to implement the function of the L297 in software.

Good luck.

If you have any questions just mail me.

Best regards
Rune Christensen