Re: [avr-gcc-list] Reply to E. Weddington ... Building binutils with av

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Reply to E. Weddington ... Building binutils with avr-coff patches
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:22:27 -0700

On 16 Jan 2004 at 9:59, Haase Bjoern (EW-BEU/PMT) * wrote:

> What I have learned from this is:
> After applying patches to the source directory it seems to be helpful
> to remove the contents of the build directories completely and
> again start the configure script within a virgin build directory.

Yes, that is what I do too. It works the best.

> BTW, the binaries that were generated on my cygwin box are about four times
> larger than the files distributed with the WINAVR package! Did they build the
> files for another target platform (I used i686-pc-cygwin) or what is the
> reason?

This is normal. When building binutils (or gcc or other projects) a lot of
times they are built with debugging symbols included in the executable, which
as you found out, can make them very big. Use the program strip.exe to strip
out the debugging symbols from the executable, and this will make it smaller.
This is what I do to the programs in WinAVR.

Eric