Re: [avr-gcc-list] uisp unknown file format

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] uisp unknown file format
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:59:40 -0700

On 22 Jan 2004 at 19:37, Helix wrote:

> Hello,
> I finally built my first program using avr-gcc in both Win and Linux.
> The compilation build a binary file.
>
> I discovered that uisp is not able to send this binary file to the 8515,
> it needs an ASCII file.
>
> I wonder how can I generate such ASCII file for sending it with uisp to my
> board.
> Could someone help me please ?
> TIA

Use MFile:
<http://www.sax.de/~joerg/mfile/>
to generate a makefile for AVR-GCC. There are downloads for either Windows or
*nix. The Windows makefile that is generated is based on the WinAVR sample
makefile. If you look through that, you'll notice that the ELF file that the
linker generates, is converted to an Intel Hex format by the program avr-
objcopy. This is a common format that is used for "load files" for embedded
systems. The Intel Hex format is understood by uisp, avrdude, and avarice.