Re: [avr-gcc-list] Serial Communication

From: Dave Hansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Serial Communication
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:22:04 -0500

From: ks_347 <address@hidden>
[...]
In this serial communication righnow I am just sending the data to PC and not receiving anything from PC, regarding the interrupt handling routine, should I write routine for UDRE(data register empty) or TXC(tranmission complete) interrupt?

As always, the answer is "it depends."

But for simple RS-232 communications to the PC, I would suggest DRE rather than TXC. It is ever so slightly more efficient, and coding is simpler:

  void transmit_routine( char *bfr, size_t len){
     queue_up_characters(bfr, len);
     enable_DRE_interrupt();
  }

  SIGNAL(DRE)